We stand with Black lives, and we mourn the loss of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Dominique Fells, Riah Milton, Oluwatoyin “Toyin” Salau, Rayshard Brooks, and the many others who have lost their lives at the hands of violence. At MN350, we’ve spent the past few weeks organizing in support of Black lives, and we’re proud to support our partner organizations, including The Movement for Black Lives, Reclaim the Block, Black Visions Collective, and Black Lives Matter in the fight for racial and social justice.
We believe racial justice is climate justice—we simply cannot have climate justice without racial justice.
350.org has called on all of us to help dismantle white supremacy with a collection of resources and actions. And MN350 has been spotlighted as reporters and bloggers explore the intersections between racial justice, climate justice, and police brutality. MN350 Executive Director Sam Grant and Data Manager Noa Shavit-Lonstein were quoted in Heated, a popular national climate blog. Climate Justice Organizer Mysti Babineau was quoted in E&E News. Sam also appeared in The New York Times’ Climate Fwd: newsletter and most recently MPR News.
Our team has also compiled a list of articles that examine the intersection of climate justice, racial justice, and policing. Take a look:
- YES!: What Good is Clean Air If People Can’t Breathe?
- Washington Post: I’m a black climate expert. Racism derails our efforts to save the planet.
- Medium: Climate activists, here’s why your work depends on ending police violence
- NYTimes Climate Fwd: newsletter: Black environmentalists on climate and anti-racism
- Vogue: Why every environmentalist should be anti-racist
- The Energy Mix: No way to solve climate without anti-racist response, U.S. marine biologist argues
- Washington Post: Fighting climate change means fighting racial injustice
- MN350 blog: Why racial justice is central to our work
- New York Times: Links between racism and the environment
- Huffington Post: We don’t have to halt climate action to fight racism
- Grist: Combating climate change, Covid-19, and systemic injustice on the same front
- The Independent: Climate activists voice support for George Floyd protestors
- New York Times: Black Environmentalists Talk About Climate and Anti-Racism
- Green 2.0: Leaking Talent: How People of Color are Pushed out of Environmental Organizations
- 350.org webinar on dismantling white supremacy