There is a lot of reason for optimism in 2023 as a climate-concerned majority in the Minnesota House and Senate passed ambitious legislation to reduce carbon emissions and ensure a just transition to clean energy. Earlier this year, we saw our legislators pass 100% Clean Energy — the result of a five-year grassroots campaign — as well as an eye-popping number of other climate wins. None of this would have been possible without the work of thousands of volunteers coming together to rally for climate justice.
Recently, MN350 released our annual report which provided an opportunity to look back at some of our campaign wins that laid the groundwork for success. A few highlights include:
- Our Transit Justice team building rider power with nearly 1,500 members through canvassing and organizing.
- Our Clean Transportation team supporting community members in petitioning for 100 electric school buses.
- Our Food Systems team developing a regenerative food buyer’s guide and expanding our work around food waste.
- Our Pipeline Resistance team continuing to organize against Line 3 and establishing long-term plans to shut down the environmental disaster.
- Our Treaty Rights team holding events around the importance of honoring our treaties.
- Our Missing & Murdered Indigenous Relatives team providing legal advocacy for water protectors, their families, and other community members.
- Our Green New Deal team partnering with organizations across the city to support the People’s Climate & Equity Plan for Minneapolis.
Our advocacy arm, MN350 Action:
- Endorsed 38 climate champions — 87% of whom won their races.
- Knocked on 3,000 doors for endorsed candidates.
- Organized and trained volunteers to testify in public hearings and other settings.
- Lobbied legislative members through in-district meetings and events.
In 2022, MN350 hired Tee McClenty as our new executive director and added new staff to power our organizing. We also confronted the reality of racism within our organization and the environmental movement and committed to anti-racist policies and to centering the voices of BIPOC communities in our work and organizing.
2023 brings exciting opportunities for growth, partnerships, and a continued commitment to fighting for climate justice, social justice, and a better future for everyone. Join us as a volunteer, sign up for our newsletter, or make a donation as we continue to build people power in Minnesota. We’ll work together to protect our environment and seek justice for those who have been and will be most impacted by environmental racism and climate change. We’re just getting started!