Employment: full-time salaried position
Location: Twin Cities, with remote work
Reporting line: reports to MN350 Communications Director
Timeline: applications accepted until the position is filled
The Communications Manager works directly with the Communications Director, MN350’s Communications and Organizing staff and volunteer leaders to shape strategy, propose tactics and lead execution of campaigns and projects that build power and dismantle the intersecting extractive systems that have led to the climate crisis and to centuries of racial inequities.
The Communications Manager relies on a broad, deep and up-to-date understanding of communications strategies, technologies and tactics. The Communications Manager is also skilled in volunteer relationships and organizing.
The work of the Communications Manager supports the growing movement in Minnesota to repair our public processes and transform our dominant economy to one that secures clean air, clean water, a stable climate and an equitable future for all, regardless of race, class, income or zip code.
MN350 is a dynamic, volunteer-led grassroots organization building a people’s movement to demand that Minnesota take action and leadership in addressing the climate crisis in an equitable and sustainable way. Our mission is to unite Minnesotans as part of a global movement to end the pollution damaging our climate, speed the transition to clean energy, and create a just and healthy future for all. MN350 is a 501(c)(3) organization.
MN350 Action is a 501(c)(4) advocacy nonprofit that is building a bold, diverse mass movement for climate justice by building public support and equipping supporters to effect change at the local, municipal and state levels. MN350 Action is a sister organization to MN350 that shares staff, offices and volunteers. MN350 and MN350 Action work collaboratively with the global 350.org and numerous coalition partners to build a movement for climate justice.
In this posting, references to MN350 apply also to MN350 Action.
ABOUT THE ROLE
MN350 seeks a talented, reliable and inspiring professional to respond to the growing demand for motivating action and building power across multiple communication channels. The Comms Manager leads large and small organizing or digital-only campaign teams to translate MN350’s mission, vision and theory of change into effective and sustainable communication plans. The Comms Manager works independently or in collaboration with volunteer leaders to execute those plans and to draft and edit communication materials that build our base of activated supporters.
- Cultivate productive and lasting relationships with Comms Team and other MN350 volunteers to help expand organizational capacity. Devise and propose assignments for volunteers and provide clear instructions and respectful editing and coaching to help raise proficiency of our volunteer team and to boost the effectiveness of their communication while also strengthening relationships.
- Support onboarding and continuing development of MN350 volunteers and interns by introducing them to basics of MN350’s mission and structure, comms strategy and tactics, and volunteer opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Communications Director, other Communications staff, other MN350 staff, volunteers and other organizations to develop and refine a communications strategy that aligns with and supports MN350’s organizational strategy.
- Train Communications Team volunteers and staff on communication technologies. Develop training materials as necessary.
- Facilitate productive meetings that move projects ahead, provide clarity and deepen relationships.
- Provide support and leadership and answer questions from other teams. Share recommendations and expertise to elevate the overall level of communications competency within MN350.
- Create persuasive and compelling communication materials in a variety of channels — email, websites, social media, news releases, letters to the editor, podcasts, video stories and others — to motivate action that helps MN350 teams and campaigns build power and achieve results.
- Learn and stay current on digital technologies that enable efficient distribution of our communication messages. That includes developing proficiency in MN350’s database tool, EveryAction, its website management tool, WordPress, and others.
- Understand effective visual communication and either provide design/visuals support directly on projects or be alert for opportunities to deploy powerful graphics and visual communication by working with and through volunteers
- Understand research and theory about effective methods of communication, especially about climate justice topics, and translate that theory and research into communication materials.
- Serve as the key liaison between the Communications Team and a small number of topical/organizing teams to offer recommendations and to identify resources for necessary comms support.
- Represent MN350’s mission, vision and values in coalition projects and campaigns
- Use available technology to monitor and measure the effectiveness of our communications. Review data to gain insight into opportunities for improvement.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KEY SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES AS MEMBER OF THE STAFF:
- Leadership development & culture: Model organizational embodiment of shared values, principles, and practices
- Community, stakeholder, and public relations: Serve as MN350’s spokespeople and ambassadors as well as act as liaison to leadership regarding the organization as needed
- Fundraising: Ability to ask for money as well as support stewardship of donors through thank you calls as requested by staff leadership
- Strategic direction: Engage in, give feedback and collaboratively shape leadership structures and fundraising strategies to sustain the organization as requested by staff leadership
Strong candidates will have:
- At least three years of experience in a related field: communication, journalism, marketing, environmental education, organizing, climate justice, digital media, social media, or similar.
- Solid understanding of communications strategy and tactics to motivate action through audience- and channel-specific approaches
- Strong coaching and editing skills
- Passion for and commitment to solving the climate crisis and addressing racial equity within the context of climate solutions. Must bring lived experience or a demonstrated commitment to addressing climate and energy through a racial equity lens.
- Ability to facilitate small and large meetings that inspire engagement and lead to results
- Strong writing skills in a variety of media, both long form and short form
- Proven work experience with multiple social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Ability to conceive, create and evaluate creative content including written, graphic and video content
- Excellent organization skills, specifically with time management and ability to multitask. Must be detail-oriented and self-motivated
- High attention to detail and the ability to successfully manage multiple projects and responsibilities with consistent follow-through.
- Ability to interact respectfully with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings
- Proficient with current technology, including Google Suite, Zoom, WordPress and other digital apps. Track record of learning new digital technology and training others.
- Occasional nights and weekend work commitments.
- Previous management experience helpful
- Committed to an equitable workplace and integrating equity into communications
LEADERSHIP & ORGANIZING
- Excellence in volunteer leader support with the ability to recruit, develop, coach, and lead high-performing teams
- Proven commitment to embodied leadership with ability to cultivate the leadership of others while also managing several tasks and projects concurrently
- Ability to manage multiple projects, consult with various stakeholders, anticipate obstacles, manage timelines, keep volunteers engaged and maintain good spirits
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills; ability to manage an unpredictable workflow and flexibility to respond thoughtfully and quickly
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with structural nature of power and inequity a plus
- Ability to identify individual vs. collective driven decision making a plus
- Relationally organized, having experience working with Black, Indigenous, People of Color, broad coalitions and multiracial communities preferred
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Full time exempt position with salary ranging from $48,000 to $55,500 depending on experience and qualifications.
- Employer paid health and dental benefits, 401K match, and paid time off (vacation, safe and sick time)
- Cell phone reimbursement ($40/month) and travel/mileage reimbursement
To apply to join this diverse, growing organization that is making a difference in Minnesota, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Questions may be directed to the same address.
Applications being accepted until the position is filled.
EOE. People of color, Indigenous/Native American, LGBTQ people, and women are encouraged to apply.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Position is based in Minneapolis, MN, with expectation for a balance between remote working arrangements and in-person, in-office work as health and safety guidance allow.
Office work is typical of an office environment, with occasional lifting of light objects unassisted and heavier objects with assistance. This job requires significant time doing computer work, including online meetings.
Flexibility is needed to work outside normal business hours, including evenings and weekends and occasional extended work hours to accomplish the mission of the organization. Minimal local and out-of-state travel may be required.