FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 15, 2022
MN350 Statement on the Inflation Reduction Act
Across Minnesota, regardless of the color of our skin or what we do for a living, we all want a just and healthy future where everyone can thrive. For far too long, government inaction and lobbying from fossil fuel corporations has jeopardized that future. With the passage of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), the U.S.’s largest-ever investment in climate action, the U.S. now has the potential to reduce pollution levels, bolster the wind and solar industries, create incentives for consumers to choose electric vehicles and create millions of jobs in the clean energy economy. Unfortunately, the bill also guarantees oil companies access to drill on more public lands, which plays directly into the hands of fossil fuel companies. By enabling our continued reliance on fossil fuels, the IRA could perpetuate harm on those who live near drilling and pipeline sites, which are more likely to be BIPOC communities.
“This is a success for the climate justice movement, but our work is not yet done. This package is not perfect. We will continue to push for the future we know is possible,” said Tee McClenty, Executive Director of MN350. “We will win the changes we need for a strong and sustainable Minnesota by elevating the leadership of frontline communities most affected by climate change.” At MN350 we are committed to:
- Honoring the treaties between sovereign Native nations and the United States government because we understand that our collective well-being is dependent upon living in balance with the land and with each other.
- Working for the People’s Climate & Equity Plan, to achieve clean, affordable buildings, resilient local energy grids, accessible, carbon-free transportation, and equitable access to green jobs. This will directly address many of the shortcomings of the IRA.
- Fighting against new fossil fuel projects like Line 5. We will stand up for and demand an equitable public transit system, and fight for better access to clean transportation.
- Working with elected leaders at every level to make climate change a priority and fight for accountability for the fossil fuel industry’s lies, which deliberately delayed action on climate change.
- Working to create a food system that is local, regenerative, equitable toward those who depend on it, and mindful of its impact on future generations.
MN350 is a statewide group working to make Minnesota a national leader in a just transition to a clean energy economy that centers around racial justice. MN350 Action is its political and advocacy arm.